The teacher in me took over and my main focus was setting a theme and pleasing the kids. I wanted to make sure that Erin and Tommy had a great time. Not that I didn't want the other guests to enjoy themselves as well, but I really wanted to make the time memorable for Erin and her cousin. It's much easier for me to entertain kiddos rather than adults! It's what I get paid to do!!
So, I made sure I stashed away all Erin's "farm" books, toys, puzzles and such. I set up two boxes of oatmeal with a few farm animals and some measuring cups and things for scooping. It was funny to watch the other adults grimace when the oatmeal started spilling on to the floor but I loved it and didn't care about the mess. Our toddler twosome had a blast pouring and scooping from one box to the other. Mission accomplished!
My mom made a great farm cake and Erin loved seeing her favorite Little People atop the cake!
The only time that made me uncomfortable was gift time. I knew that Erin wouldn't be thrilled to have a crowd of 20 people watching her open gifts. She is still at that age where the boxes and tissue paper are much more interesting, so when the mini-tantrum came I wasn't surprised. I was surprised however that no one said, "Don't worry about it. Open the rest at home." No biggie, but it would have made life easier. Instead, Greg and I took turns "oohh-ing and ahh-ing" over Erin's new gifts. Oh well!!
All in all, it was a wonderful time. I know that I will never forget the joy in the eyes of my little girl when she first discovered her "horsie" balloon or the piggie from her Auntie Denise. Or the way that Tommy and Erin worked together taking oatmeal from one box and putting it into the other. They had so much fun riding Erin's tricyle together and being pushed around the wheel chair (yes, I said wheel chair...it's an older living facility!) by Erin's Pa.
Happy Second Birthday, Bubba! I love you!
Erin and Tommy enjoying the farm cake
Tommy enjoying the oatmeal box
The birthday girl
"Let's go for a ride, Erin!"

No comments:
Post a Comment