Monday, March 9, 2009

Not Me! Monday...Bad Mommy edition

Boy do I need to make a few confessions tonight and there is no better forum to do so than MckMama's Not Me! Monday...go and check her out!

Welcome to the "Bad Mommy" edition of Not Me! Monday. No one is sweet and sugary all the time and today was not my day in Candyland!

I did not fly off the handle when my toddler sat at the kitchen table spitting green beans, potatoes, kidney beans and whatever I spent half my afternoon making so lovingly for her for dinner. It wasn't me who then took said toddler up to her room to "go to bed early" (at 5:30) thinking that she could possibly understand my frustration with her age appropriate behavior.

Because she fully understood my motives for sending her to bed without finishing dinner, my toddler calmly fell asleep in her bed and didn't think to even once get out of bed and run around her room or sit with books on the floor.

And because she was sleeping we did not then go back downstairs to clean up the green beans off the floor and finish her 1/2 eaten bread because I forgot to administer her daily dose of Claritin.

It would just be foolish of me to then sit my toddler on the couch to watch a few minutes of television so we could both wind down before her actual bedtime. So that's why I didn't do it. Especially because that would mean that when I told her earlier in the day that she couldn't watch any T.V. today because she didn't lie nicely for her teachers at nap time it was just an idle threat. Nope...wasn't me!

Once bedtime finally arrived my little one was so tuckered out from the time change and a day full of festivities that she instantly fell asleep. I certainly did not once again fly off the handle when my toddler showed more moments of age appropriateness. I am a teaching professional and know that showing my anger in that way does no one any good. I of course didn't holler at my daughter that she needed to listen when someone tells her it's time to sleep while she smiled at me like the Cheshire cat and continued her game of choice "Let's get in and out of bed 100 billion times to make Mommy mad". Gosh, not me!

As I sit her typing my not real confessions, there isn't a vacuum wedged in between the door of my toddlers' bedroom like a guard dog. That would just be cruel seeing that my little girl is so horrified by that vacuum that the teachers at school can't even vacuum the school until we have left for the day.

What a bad, bad mommy!
************************************************************************************

I actually feel horribly guilty that I yelled at Erin tonight. I couldn't have asked for a more fun weekend with her and now it feels like none of that matters because of my actions tonight. I feel worse than she did. She just laughed, talked and sang herself to sleep like nothing had happened! The yelling didn't faze her a bit! That just goes to show me that I handled it all wrong and that I'd better learn from this for tomorrow night! She is a toddler after all!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the vacuum is funny and of course Erin didn't mind. :)

Liz {Learning To Juggle} said...

I giggle because I understand. We have yelled too many times at Tommy and it really has gotten us no where. I had a conversation with him the other day about his behavior and we suddenly see a change.

Don't beat yourself up to much...Mommies are human too, we are allowed to make mistakes, get mad, be irrational...as long as we learn from them we are doing good!!