Friday, October 28, 2011

Some days are hard...

From outside the bathroom door, strangers could hear the desperate plea from a new mother. She only wanted Him to hear her and didn't care if anyone else did. Her daughter would be one month old in two days. During the next month she should be reaching new milestones. Holding up her head, smiling for the first time, meeting extended members of the family.

Gain weight. Rid the body of excess fluid. Maintain strength long enough to finish nursing or a supplemented bottle. Instead of a monthly goal, her goals were daily and hardly ever achieved.

Each day was recorded in a journal. How many wet diapers? What time were the medications administered? How long was the feeding and how much was eaten? The team of doctors we visited twice a week were seen more than family members. Only a select few could come visit. Did they just sneeze? Was that a cough? Infants at one month shouldn't be sleeping through the night yet. Under normal circumstances a new parent would be happy. This was far from normal. In and out of the hospital. Those chairs are uncomfortable to sleep on. We have had no privacy. We rushed a baptism.

Trauma doctors are now in and out of the room trying to stabilize her. The twenty-first is 5 days away. Are we going to Boston tonight? Will she live to see Wednesday? Will she live to see tomorrow? Will she be gone by the time I leave this bathroom? If I stay in here long enough pleading with You more, will I wake from this nightmare?

How did this happen? Why her? Why us? Why?


I will do anything You ask of me! Take me! Spare her life! If You just give her a chance at this life, I promise I will not take one day for granted! I will be a better person! I will be a better wife! I will be the best mother! I will let her know how loved, appreciated, special she is! She will know how much she was wanted! I will be forever grateful to You! Please God, let her live! Let her live! Take me...just let her live!

Some days are hard...and on those days, I reflect on how they could be much harder.



"Her name means peace. Her passion for life is remarkable. She is extremely dependable in all situations. She has a terrific smile. Adventure is what she is. Supports any cause that is noble and worthy. Everyone admires her positive attitude. Fanatstic things are accomplished by her." The Historical Research Center, Inc.

No comments: